Friday 10 February 2012

Week 1 Paleo wrap up!!

It's been 2 weeks now since giving up sugar and coffee (with the exception of course of "that night" of the hens, and by tomorrow it will be 7 days of eating purely paleo (with the exception of some soy/sugar in the sauce on my meat at dinner on friday, and some butter used on the veggies - teppenyaki)

Headaches:
I am a rare being in that I have a headache 100% of the time.  From when I wake to when I sleep and every second in between...and it's been that way since Jan 2001.  It comes from dodgy neck muscles as well as probable arthritic joints and less than awesome posture.  From time to time it gets particularly 'heavy' and 'thick' and I really struggle.
This is kinda what no sugar felt like for the first few days, which was interesting - I felt like I had this haze over my eyes and was wearing a really tight headband....then...it went away...came back like 10,000 times as bad ~with~ the sugar at the hens weekend...which was also accompanied by flushed cheeks, lethargy and a bad night sleep.  Now, as of probably yesterday morning, I feel totally fresh...energetic...and I can only feel 'my' headache.  I am really interested to find out if my "bonus headahce" as I refer to it is just my body dealing with too much sugar!!?
If avoiding sugar means I feel like this... bring. it. on!!

Sleep:  Sleep has been an interesting one.  Day 1 and 2 paleo I slept really badly... I was exhausted and on a sugar low but my brain was going BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH and I couldn't shut it off.  It hasn't changed too much since then unfortunately. I think this will be one to watch because less carbs, as much exercise, and shallow sleep just ain't gonna cut it!
 
Weight: Between last wednesday and the sunday after the hens I was up 300g. By Wednesday this week, down 700g (so 500g in 7 days).  I had a sneaky weigh in today and even with the 12wbt dinner last night I'm down another 400g... I do think though that any extreme change to how you eat will have initial results, that's why week 4 of 12wbt has so many drop outs, the easy weight loss passes and people finally realise you have to work to change your body.  So, remind me of that at week 4 when I dont wanna any more!!

Body:  This has been fascinating! I am usually quite a bloaty, gassy person. too much info? Meh I'm sure as I get better at this blogging thing that'll get even better. haha.  Well, since about day 4... like, zero bloat! I can do up my work pants easier and dont feel desperate to pop the button as soon as I get home.  I don't feel like that at all. But after Teppenyaki...again remember very minimal intake (soy sauces, sweet sauces, butter...no rice) I felt blegh! In fact, after the miso soup, which tasted like sugar syrup to me, I was already feeling 'gurgley gut'!  I do feel better today, but am really struggling with sugar cravings, which I haven't really experienced! (SHOCK)

Sugar Cravings: Yes, so usually every day I crave sweet stuff by 10, after every meal, at 3, and an incredible amount after having one really sugary thing. Since probably Sunday though I have not felt a single deperate urge!! It could be the early willpower thing, or it could be legit, but after last night's dinner I am struggling!! hmm I do struggle on weekends usually anyway though now that I think about it coz I'm not at my desk guzzling water...hmm brb I'm going to have some water!

Energy: Now, this is the hard one. My energy is still quite low. I wake up vibrant, smiling, singing along to the radio on the way to the gym...which at 5:30am is pretty darn cool I reckon.  But I still feel like I'm burning out and sleepy much earlier than usual. It has been a big work week, which could contribute, but it could be that my body is still adjusting to burning fats rather than carbs...we'll keep an eye on this bit.

Eating out: Ok so this will get tricky I can see...breakfasts will be fine as long as they use olive oil not vegie oil on my eggs, spinach, mushies and tomato. Lunches and dinner, I'm going to be pretty limited to basic salads, a chunk of meat with veggies, and...that's probably it. a lot of asking for no sauces, dressings, butter, but to be honest I'm getting better and better at doing that since starting with Michelle Bridges 12 months ago.  I just have a bit of learning to do so I'm not googling things every 2 seconds at my seat to see if it's paleo!
oh oh but VERY VERY cool thing this morning, I went to Belconnen Markets for my weekly shop after this morning's work out...and the cafe had "The Paleo Breakfast" on the menu!? WOOT!  it was 2 poached eggs on a tonne of spinach with 1/2 an avo.  you could add bacon or other veggies if you wanted too but I wasn't super hungry.  That's pretty exciting though, it's a 'thing'!
The tricky bit...I have 2 weddings coming up. Now, I can't change my rsvp, and I won't ask for anything special with them so close...but I'm really going to have to hold back from eating too much and/or drinking...not because I'm so hardcore I don't know how to have a treat, but I'm worried that my guts will play up and I'll feel rubbish.  I might do some research on this.

Cost: Ok, first shop was crazy expensive. all these weird oils, flours, nuts, spreads and stuff...not. cool.
But, the shop I just came back from, was almost back to my Michelle cost! I didn't buy any drink, any muslibars, breads, wraps, rices, noodles... I bought minimal fruit, and tonnes of meat and veg.  My trolley was sexy!  I also haven't spent a cent at work coz I can't have anything from the vending machines, including the drinks.  I've spotted fruit salad if I ever get stuck, but that's about it.

Okay, so what did I actually eat?!
http://www.paleoplan.com/resources/sampler-menu-meal-plan/

I followed this sample plan for a week. BOY OH BOY was the food ah-maz-ing! Pumpkin muffins for breaky, one day with spinach, one day with warmed up blue berries, eggs, beautiful crockpot meals... things that are very very 12wbt friendly I just had lean cuts and got my oils from nuts/avo, and hubby had fattier cuts as that is part of how he is interpretting the paleo thing.

Next week I have put together my own menu which I'm excited about:

Mon Tue Wed Thur
         
Breakfast Sausage Frittata Bacon, Eggs, Asparagus Pumpkin Muffins Sausage Frittata
Lunch Forage! L/O Prawns with Roast Tomato and Capers Bacon/Grape/Broc Salad L/O Bacon/Grape/Broccoli Salad
Dinner Prawns with Roast Tomato and Capers Roast Goat Leg w veg Stuffed Roast Capsicum Butter Chicken
Snack Banana & Walnuts (microwave) Jerky with nuts Hard Boiled Eggs with Tomato Piece of Hard fruit and nuts.

Oh I'm away friday saturday sunday though.
If you want to see the websites that I'm planning to use for my meals:

B/G/B salad http://paleodietlifestyle.com/bacon-grape-broccoli-salad/
Prawns http://paleoaustralia.com/category/recipes/healthy-meals/
Spag Bol http://paleoaustralia.com/category/recipes/healthy-meals/
Sausage Frittata http://paleorecipes.tv/recipes/sausage-zucchini-frittata/
butter chicken http://dairy-free.food.com/recipe/butterish-chicken-dairy-free-355793?scaleto=2&mode=null&st=true
stuffed RC http://www.paleodigest.com/pd/?u=http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/EnjoyingHealthyFoods/~3/sPpzclZBXWs/paleo-stuffed-peppers.html
I've also found a butcher that will make me lean sausages with nothing but meat and herbs...WOOHOO...there's so much cool food out there who would have known!!


Summary:
wow I know how to keep succinct hey.
In a nutshell I feel great but I do feel as though I still have some 'detoxing' to do before my body works to its peak eating this way.  I am not sure whether I'll continue on after the month but I will learn a tonne about food properties in the meantime! I mean, if I'm not drinking milk I have to find calcium naturally, I have to find fibre, magnisium, general vitamins and minerals...good carbs and protein, so I have to know what has what - which is fabulous and will steer me well in to the future!

Bring on week 2!!...and Kick off for 12wbt!!

ClaireS
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment